San Diego Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Have You Been Hit by a Car in San Diego or Riverside?
When pedestrians are involved in motor vehicle accidents, the results are often devastating. The fragility of the human body is no more evident than when it is hit by a car weighing more than 3,000 pounds. At Martinez & Schill LLP, we have the skill and experience to handle pedestrian accident cases. Our San Diego pedestrian accident attorneys understand how sustaining serious injuries or losing a loved one can dramatically alter the course of a life and a family. We strive to obtain maximum compensation for our clients to help you start rebuilding your life.
Pedestrian Injuries and Deaths In California
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 76,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic collisions in the United States in 2012, and more than 4,700 pedestrians are killed in the same year. There are more pedestrian fatalities in California (612) than in any other state with pedestrian fatalities accounting for more than 21 percent of total traffic fatalities. Serious Injuries often occur in pedestrian accidents. Such injuries include:
- Brain Injuries: Pedestrians hit by cars often suffer brain injuries due to the speed and impact of a car
- Spinal Cord Injuries/Paralysis: The impact of a car against the human body can sever a limb or cause spinal cord injuries and paralysis. The lifelong effects are often debilitating to the victim.
- Lacerations & Scars: Even in a low-impact collision by a vehicle a pedestrian may obtain cuts, scars or lacerations due to broken glass or the asphalt road condition.
- Wrongful Death: When serious injuries occur such as a head injury due to a high speed impact the result in some cases is the loss of a loved one.
Cause of Pedestrian Accidents
The following are a list of the common causes of pedestrian accidents:
- Distracted Driving: A common cause of pedestrian accidents is distracted driving. When a driver is not paying attention and fails to see a pedestrian on the road, serious injuries are often the result. Many times the driver is distracted due to texting while driving.
- Crossing At Unmarked Crosswalk: Drivers are responsible for looking out for pedestrians at all times not just in crosswalks and intersections. In fact, most pedestrian fatalities (70 percent in 2012) occur in non-intersection locations.
- Driver Lack of Visibility: Lack of visibility is also a common cause of pedestrian accidents, as many pedestrian accidents take place after sunset. Drivers oftentimes hit pedestrians or cyclists when pulling out of a driveway with limited visibility. Drivers have a duty to watch for pedestrians and drive carefully after dark and can be held responsible when failing to do so.
- Speeding Accidents: Many accidents are the result of drivers speeding through intersections to catch a green light which results in a victim being hit while in the crosswalk.
- Failing to Observe Signs and Signals: In some cases, the cause of a pedestrian accident is clear. For example, when a driver fails to observe traffic signals or fails to yield the right of way to a pedestrian, the driver is clearly negligent.
Compensation for Injuries After a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accident victims have the same rights as passengers in a car and you are entitled to compensation through the driver’s insurance if you are hit. Even if you share some of the responsibility for the accident, you can still seek compensation from other responsible parties.
If you have been injured or a loved one has been lost in an accident, our San Diego pedestrian accident attorneys can help. Contact us to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case. We have offices in San Diego and Riverside, and we work with clients throughout Southern California. Our firm handles personal injury cases on a contingency basis, so you do not pay until we win.