What You Should Know About Bus Accident Claims in California
When people enter into a bus, they can expect to arrive at their destination safely. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. When a person has been seriously injured in an accident involving a bus, the at-fault party may be held responsible for the injuries. In California, those who have been injured as a result of another’s negligence may file a personal injury lawsuit in order to obtain compensation for their grievances. Filing a personal injury, however, is not always simple and it may require in-depth legal knowledge.
Determining Fault in Bus Accidents in California
There are multiple factors that may be involved in the cause of a bus accident. Some of these may involve other motorists on the road, defective tires on the bus, or missing roadwork signage. Since there are various factors that may be involved in the accident, there are also multiple parties that could be held accountable for the collision. The following are common parties that could be considered in the investigation:
- The Bus Operator – The bus operator can be held accountable for the accident if he or she was under the influence of a substance while driving the vehicle. He or she may also be held responsible if found to be fatigued while operating the bus.
- The Bus Company – Most companies will ensure that their drivers undergo extensive training before allowing a driver to operate a bus unsupervised. However, not all companies are the same. When a bus company has failed to sufficiently train the bus operator and this has ultimately caused the accident, the bus company could be held liable for the accident.
- Bus Mechanic or Repair Shop – When a repair worker or mechanic has made inadequate repairs on the bus and this led to the accident, the company responsible for the repairs can be held accountable for the injuries.
- Other Drivers – When drivers choose to drive in a reckless manner, this places all those on the road at risk of serious injury. If another motorist caused the bus’s accident, the motorist can be held financially liable for the injuries caused.
- Parties Responsible for Maintaining the Road – In many cases, a government agency will be responsible for maintaining safe roads. This may include ensuring that the roads are safely constructed, there are no large potholes on the road, or there are no overgrown shrubs that may obstruct a driver’s view of the road. When poor roadway conditions have led to the accident, this party may be held accountable for the injuries caused.
Fight for Your Right to Compensation, Speak to a Knowledgeable Attorney Today
If you have been injured while riding a bus, the injuries you sustained may cause you to have lifelong medical complications, which may be very expensive. Speak to a skilled personal injury law firm who can help you fight for the compensation you are owed.
The personal injury attorneys at Martinez & Schill, LLP have extensive experience handling public transportation accident cases. Suffering an injury as a result of a bus accident can be a horrific experience, consult a law firm that will defend your right to compensation. The proficient attorneys at Martinez & Schill, LLP are committed to defending the rights of their clients and will vigorously pursue the maximum amount of restitution possible. Contact the firm today for a free case evaluation.