At Martinez & Schill, LLP, our bicycle accident attorneys in San Diego are also parents who work hard to ensure our kids are safe at every turn, which includes when they are riding their bikes.
Bicycle riding is fun, healthy, and a wonderful way for kids to exhibit their independence as they learn about the responsibility of remaining safe on the go.
Unfortunately, there is a wide range of reasons kids and adults alike are injured while riding their bikes in California, and it is often the result of drivers who are distracted, impaired, speeding, or failing to follow traffic signs and signals.
Here are a few ways to help keep your kids safe while riding, even when negligent drivers are all around.
Safe Bike Riding Tips for California Children and Adults
Before setting out on a bike ride, it is important that both the children and adults inspect their bicycles to ensure they are in proper working order.
That could include, checking that the chain is tight, the tires are inflated, and the brakes are working.
Other important safety tips include:
- Wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet
- Do not allow your child to wear headphones while riding
- Wear bright-colored clothing, use reflective tape, or flashing lights, so you can be seen by motorists
- Children should wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes while riding to avoid slipping
- Loose-fitting clothing should be avoided, so it does not get caught in the chain or spoke of the bicycle
- Always ride with both hands on the handlebars, and never carry items like books or bags in your arms
- Only one person should ride a bike at a time, and “trailing” should never be allowed
- Watch for road hazards like potholes, gravel, or other dangers that can cause you to lose control of the bike
- Avoid riding at night
When riding with your children, lead by example, so they can pick up safe habits from your behavior. That means coming to a complete stop at corners, using hand signals when turning, and using your best judgment about whether your child is ready to ride on the road.
Whether your kids are riding with you or on their own, be firm about the importance of safe riding. Make it clear that that the rules must be followed, or else he or she does not get to ride.
It could save their life.
Contact Our Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorneys in San Diego at Martinez & Schill, LLP for a Free Case Evaluation
While teaching your kids the rules of the road are important, it is impossible to control the negligent behaviors of other drivers. If you or someone you love has been injured while riding, contact our skilled personal injury attorneys in Riverside at Martinez & Schill, LLP to discuss how our lawyers seek real solutions that produce optimal results for our clients today by calling 951-200-4630.