Slip and fall accidents can easily have very costly consequences. If you were injured as a result of a slip and fall that occurred while on another’s property, you may have an opportunity to recover compensation. Having a successful claim, however, does not come easy, as there are essential factors that must be proven in a claim.
What is Needed to Prove a Case
In order to be able to recover compensation following a slip and fall accident, there are certain factors that must be present in order to hold the defendant liable for the damages you sustained. While these factors can vary depending on the specific facts of your case, the following will usually be necessary:
- The owner or manager of the property was negligent;
- This carelessness lead to the slip and fall accident; and
- You sustained injuries as a result of the accident.
In California, negligence is established by proving that the property owner or manager owed you a reasonable duty of care where this duty was ultimately breached. Property owners and managers in California have a duty to inspect their property for potentially hazardous conditions that could result in an accident. They also have a duty to fix any dangerous conditions in a reasonable amount of time, or warn others about the hazardous conditions.
The following are a few simple ways in which their duty can be breached:
- The failure to clean a spilled liquid within a reasonable amount of time;
- The failure to install sufficient lighting or replace burnt out lightbulbs;
- The failure to maintain clean and clear walkways;
- The failure to perform routine inspections of the property in order to identify potentially hazardous conditions; or
- The failure to post necessary warning signs to alert others of a dangerous condition, such as freshly mopped floors.
Discuss Your Case with a Proficient Slip and Fall Law Firm in Southern California
Personal injury accidents involving a slip and fall can result in complex, often challenging cases. In the State of California, injured victims have a very limited window of time to file a case. If you were injured as a result of a slip and fall that occurred while in/on another’s property, you will need to act quickly in order to have the best opportunity at a successful claim. Following a slip and fall accident, speak to an experienced attorney who can represent your case and fight for your right to obtain a fair settlement.
At Martinez & Schill, LLP defending the rights of those who have suffered as a result of another’s negligence is of utmost importance. Slip and fall cases are usually followed by long-term injuries, such as traumatic head injuries or broken or fractured bones. As a result, these types of cases usually lead to long term financial distress. Following a slip and fall accident in Southern California, speak to a law firm who will ensure you are paid what you are owed. Consider contacting the experienced attorneys at Martinez & Schill, LLP today for a no-obligation consultation.