What are the leading causes of fatal car accidents?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) more than 32,000 people lost their lives in traffic accidents across the United States in 2013. The state of California alone accounted for nearly ten percent of all fatalities nationwide.
Recently the Auto Insurance Center compiled car accident data from NHTSA’s Fatal Accident Reporting System and examined the leading causes of fatal car accidents.
The following are the leading causes of fatal car accidents nationwide:
- Failure to keep in Proper Lane
- Failure to Yield the Right of Way
- Reckless or Careless Driving
- Not Adjusting to Road Surface
- Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road
- Not Adjusting to Road Obstruction
- Operating without Required Equipment
- Improper Turning – which was the leading cause of fatal car accidents in the State of California
Additionally, the causes of fatal car accidents varies significantly by state. According to data from the California Highway Patrol (CHP) the following are the some of the leading causes of fatal accidents in California:
- Excessive speed was the primary cause and accounted for a factor in 30.3 percent of fatal accidents
Other leading causes were:
- Distracted driving, including texting or using a mobile device while driving
- Aggressive driving, such as tailgating, improper signaling or cutting off another driver
- Driving under the influence
- Driving performance error – including fatigue
- Making an illegal or improper turn
The following are some other interesting statistics regarding fatal accidents in the state of California according to the CHP:
- Motorcycles were involved in nearly 20 percent of all fatal accidents
- Pedestrians were victims in nearly 25 percent of all fatal accidents
- Drivers accounted for over half of all victims of fatal accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents played a major role in a number of the accidents
- In 2013, California only had one day, August 13th, without a fatality as a result of a car accident
Therefore the statistics show that both nationwide and in California, speeding in one of the leading causes of fatalities in car accidents.
If you or your loved one has been involved in a fatal car accident, then please contact the experienced San Diego personal injury attorneys at Martinez & Schill LLP. Our personal injury attorneys are experienced in handling cases involving fatal car accidents. We don’t get paid until we recover compensation on your behalf, so call today for a free consultation. San Diego [[phoneSan]] or Riverside [[phoneRiver]].