1. You May Be Significantly Injured: In the event that you have been significantly injured, you need an advocate who can take care of your lawsuit while you spend time recovering and healing. When you hire an attorney, you no longer have to worry about navigating through the legal system alone; you can focus on recovery while your San Diego car accident attorney handles the case.
2. Lawsuits Can Require a Lot of Time and Effort: The legal process can be a long one. It can take multiple years to eventually go to trial in some civil cases. When you hire an attorney, you no longer have to worry about the day-to-day management of the case, you can return to living your life while your case proceeds.
3. The Rules of Civil Procedure are Complicated: Civil Procedure encompasses the rules and standards on how a civil case makes its way through the legal system. These rules and standards are detailed, complicated, and if broken, could result in the court’s dismissal of your case. For instance, there are specific rules on how soon a person must file a lawsuit after a car accident injury (referred to as Statute of Limitations) and there are specific rules on what a person must allege in their initial claim. When you hire an attorney, the attorney takes on the responsibility of ensuring your lawsuit does not violate any of the rules of civil procedure, which can ultimately be the difference from a dismissed lawsuit and a valid lawsuit.
4. Negotiating with an Insurance Adjuster is Not Easy: Insurance adjusters are trained to offer the least amount of money possible for your car accident claim. Hiring an attorney who is experienced in dealing with insurance adjusters and has a good reputation will often significantly increase the total settlement an insurance company is willing to pay after a San Diego car accident.
5. The Rules of Evidence are Complex: The rules of evidence govern which evidence is admissible at a trial. Not all evidence is admissible. Certain pieces of evidence are not admissible, and if you were preparing to rely on these pieces, then you could find yourself in a bad position. When you hire an attorney, that attorney is responsible for constructing a case that complies with the rules of evidence.
6. Your Opponent Likely Has an Attorney: In most cases the other side will have an attorney. Your best chance to fight their attorney is to hire an attorney of your own. In the event you do not hire an attorney, your opponent’s attorney will not take it easy on you and the judge will not show you any sympathy. Regardless of whether you hire a lawyer, your opponent will be putting together their best case. When you hire an attorney, you put yourself in the best position to win, because you have someone with experience and expertise fighting in your corner.
7. If Fault is Contested, an Attorney Can Hire Experts to Prove Your Case: If who is at fault of an accident is contested, you must prove that the other driver was at fault and caused the accident. If you don’t, you will lose and recover nothing. As such, you cannot risk losing your case. If the other driver is going to deny the accident was their fault, especially if the case proceeds to a lawsuit, then there is too much at stake for you to try to handle your own case, and you should use a car accident lawyer’s experience and expertise. Good car accident attorneys can hire the best experts to reconstruct the accident and prove you were not at fault.
8. Experience & Expertise: There are a number of ways an attorney’s experience and expertise can be beneficial after a car accident. First, the attorney will bring experience in
creating a case strategy and preparing the strongest case you possibly can. Second,
the attorney is likely experienced working with insurance companies, automobile
manufacturers and defense attorneys. This experience is valuable in settlement negotiations, settlement conferences and reaching a favorable outcome. Finally, the attorney is likely experienced in the courtroom. This experience is valuable in winning a case if the case goes to trial.
9. Multiple Claims/Multiple Opponents: Assume that you get rear-ended while at a stop sign. If you represent yourself, then you might only think to sue the other driver. When you hire an attorney, that attorney will investigate all potential causes of the accident, and will seek any and all valid causes of action on your behalf. If you fail to hire an attorney, you may be sacrificing your ability to ever file these legitimate claims.
10. It May Not Cost Anything Until You Recover: Many personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis. This contingency is that the attorney does not get paid unless they obtain compensation on your behalf. Thus, it is in your financial interest to hire an attorney, and it will not cost you anything unless you win.
The San Diego car accident attorneys at Martinez & Schill LLP are experienced in handling car accident cases. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Riverside or San Diego car accident, contact us today for a free consultation. We do not get paid unless we obtain compensation on your behalf. San Diego 619-512-5995 or Riverside 951-200-4630.