San Diego Sexual Abuse Attorneys
Sexual Abuse Lawyers in Southern California
The physical and psychological damage of sexual abuse cannot be underestimated. While these crimes should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law in criminal court, they can also give rise to civil lawsuits. When you suffer an injury due to the intentional actions of another person, that person can be held civilly responsible. At the San Diego personal injury law firm of Martinez & Schill LLP, we take sexual abuse cases very seriously and fight to help our clients recover financial damages from their abusers and any other liable parties. Our San Diego sexual abuse attorneys understand that sexual abuse cannot be undone, but we seek to help our clients move forward from the abuse by obtaining the greatest possible financial compensation.
Legal Rights of Sexual Abuse Victims in California
Sexual abuse takes many forms and has many different types of victims. Our attorneys have the skill and experience to handle civil cases arising from all types of sexual abuse, whether the victim is a child, teenager, adult, or senior citizen. We aggressively pursue compensation for the damages resulting from these crimes, including:
- Medical expenses;
- Psychological counseling;
- Pain and suffering; and
- Lost earnings and disability.
While the actual abuser carries obvious liability for the harm he or she has caused, there may also be other parties who are liable. Our San Diego sexual abuse lawyers will carefully investigate your case and identify all responsible parties. Institutions that may share blame for a sexual assault include:
- Churches – Child sexual abuse within the Catholic church has triggered numerous lawsuits against the church for failing to protect child parishioners.
- Schools – When teachers and other school personnel abuse a child, the school can be held responsible.
- Nursing homes – Nursing home abuse is not uncommon, and the nursing home can be held responsible for the sexual abuse perpetrated by employees.
- Foster care agency – When a child is abused while in foster care, the agency responsible for the placement may be liable.
If you, your child, or your dependent parent has been the victim of sexual abuse, contact us to schedule a free consultation to discuss your legal options. We will listen to your account of the abuse with compassion, answer any legal questions you may have, and offer our experienced opinion on whether a civil lawsuit is recommended. We have offices in San Diego and Riverside, and we offer flexible scheduling for consultation appointments. Call (619) 512-5995.